Форум русскоязычного сообщества Ubuntu

Автор Тема: Ubuntu Is Dropping 32-bit Desktop Builds  (Прочитано 4734 раз)

Оффлайн Haron Prime

• Автор темы
  • Почётный модератор
  • Старожил
  • Нетолерантный социопат
    • Просмотр профиля
Ubuntu Is Dropping 32-bit Desktop Builds
« : 27 Сентября 2017, 19:48:56 »
If you were hoping to download Ubuntu 17.10 32-bit come its release next month we’ve some bad news to give you.

Ubuntu is, seemingly, dropping 32-bit builds of Ubuntu 17.10 desktop entirely — bidding farewell to non-64 bit ISOs.

Canonical’s Dimitri John Ledkov has asked the Ubuntu release team to “action” a proposal he put forth earlier in the development cycle in which he argued that i386 builds of Ubuntu desktop (aka 32-bit builds) should no longer be produced.

“Please action the below and remove Ubuntu Desktop i386 daily-live images from the release manifest for Beta and Final milestones of 17.10 and therefore do not ship ubuntu-desktop-i386.iso artifact for 17.10,” he writes.

“There is no longer any effective qa or testing of the desktop product on actual i386 hardware (explicitly non x86_64 CPUs).”

What this change doesn’t mean
No changes are being requested to other builds of Ubuntu 17.10, such as minimal install ISOs or the net install option, and this news doesn’t mean Ubuntu won’t run on 32-bit.

This news simply means 32-bit Ubuntu users won’t be able to download and boot up an official live ISO to install the distro. 32-bit desktop configurations will also no longer benefit from any sort of official testing.

This change does not affect Ubuntu flavours such as Xubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, et al — they’ll be free to make their own decisions about what they support.

“Change of scope and target market for i386”
Why drop 32-bit Ubuntu? Well, it seems like no-one really uses it, and those who do probably run a lighter, trimmer version of the distro like Xubuntu.

“[i386] is no longer the default, nor most widely used architecture on the traditional form factors: desktop, laptop, rack servers,” he reasoned back in May, 2017.

The Ubuntu website no longer lists 32-bit images for download on desktop, server, or cloud.

Earlier this year we ran a poll asking how many of you were still using Ubuntu 32-bit and the results from that poll suggest that few of you will be affected by this news

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/ubuntu-17-10-32-bit-builds-dropped

Страница сгенерирована за 0.04 секунд. Запросов: 25.